Sunday, June 6, 2010

Practice Patience

It has been a while since I have blogged, mostly because I really have nothing to blog about. Yesterday I practiced Sirsasana (headstand). My younger sister is my assistant until I can get my feet to stay up without falling onto my back. But they say that you have to fall before you can stay up. So, I am being patient with this pose. My ultimate goal is to be able to do the scorpion pose. It looks like a pretty much impossible pose, and yes, sometimes Yoga does look like it does defy gravity. I was looking at pictures of people doing the scorpion and I felt a pang of jealousy. I thought, "why can't I do that?" But then I remembered that I haven't even been practicing Yoga for a year, what's the rush? And even though it would feel great to be able to do the Scorpion, Yoga is not ALL about how flexible we can be, or how strong. It's about stilling the mind, learning to be patient. I won't be able to do the scorpion, or the headstand for that matter without a lot of practice and patience. I need to accept that. Yoga instructors always say to respect your limitations, they have a point. If you rush into a pose, you can hurt yourself. So I must learn to be patient. I am not going to be able to stand on my head tomorrow, but with practice I can accomplish it one day. :)
Namaste

2 comments:

  1. Wow, not even a year. When you posted your pictures a couple weeks ago, it looked like you have been practicing more than that!!

    You are a natural obviously!!!

    Best of luck!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear lord just googled the scorpion pose!!! scorpion pose = YIKES!!!! lol I'll stick with my downward dog!!! :)

    ReplyDelete