Saturday, February 15, 2014

Breakthroughs

Today I went to a hot yoga class. One of the most difficult classes that I have ever been to. The instructor was almost like a drill-sergeant (in a nice way). I had eaten breakfast two and a half hours before the class and probably should have drank more water. I was absolutely exhausted and maybe a little under prepared. I really wanted to walk out of the class, but I kept going. The poses were tiresome, but something that Tommy Rosen had said in his Kundalini class kept popping up in my mind. He had told us that your body is stronger than your mind will let you think. This means that even in difficult poses, you will be amazed at what you can achieve if you keep at it. You are stronger than you think you are. That thought kept me going through the class. Towards the end of the yoga class we got into bridge pose. Now, I actually don't really like that pose at all. I find it constricting on my neck and uncomfortable for my breathing. This time around, when I came into the pose, a strange feeling came over me. All of a sudden I had a feeling, like I wanted to cry. My initial reaction was "what the heck?" The feeling was so strange, and somewhat unfamiliar. It was a feeling of sadness, but also a feeling of relief. The class wasn't making me sad. The sadness was coming out of me. We keep so many emotions inside of us, locked up. Yoga is a practice that can help release those feelings. We need to face and feel the emotions that we have. Tears came to my eyes. I relaxed, and all of a sudden a feeling of calm came over me. I felt so calm. I felt relieved. And I felt happy. Not the jumping for joy happy, but the happiness that one feels when they are at peace with themselves and their situations. It was a beautiful feeling. I am writing this to say that this is why I practice. My practice brings me back to a state of beauty and acceptance. Acceptance of what is. I release my clinging to the past and my apprehension of the future. I am present. And I am happy. Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment